Thursday, June 14, 2012

Dogwood Medallion

I should have been cleaning last night. Really, I should have. Ben's been out of town all week, and even though we spend most of our time outside, the play area and laundry room in the basement are a disaster! I put the kids to bed and went down stairs with the best of intentions to clean up a bit. But you have to walk through my sewing space to get to the laundry...Yep. Cleaning never happened. This little lovely got finished instead! 


The dogwood medallion will be the centerpiece of the quilt I'm making as part of the Handstitched Camp taught by Rachel. The medallion features reverse applique using a blind stitch. I have to say my stitches started to look pretty good towards the end! Next week we will begin new lessons, one of which will be how to embroider the white border of the medallion. There was an option to use HST as part of the white border, but I chose to wait and try my hand at the embroidery. I can use the practice! 


These are the other fabrics that I will use in the quilt. The course fabric requirements call for a few more solids, but I think I am happy with my stack for now for a few reasons. First of all, my budget! I tried to pull as many fabrics as I could from my stash. I was pretty successful at that, only buying a few more prints from the DS Quilts Collection that I thought would look nice. Secondly, I am making this quilt for our master bedroom. Right now, our room is mainly browns and blues. I wanted to add a bit more color into the room, but I know that Ben wouldn't want anything too funky. I wanted to pull more solid colors from that floral/bird print on the bottom right. I held off knowing that I would probably get the "Huh?" look from Ben! We will soon be adding a border of solids around the medallion and I am thinking about using the tan circles as solids when that time comes. We'll see how they all play together...

Okay. Now I really should go clean;)

No comments:

Post a Comment