Tuesday, August 9, 2011

For my baby girl

When I first decided to try quilting, I knew that I would want to make my children a quilt for their rooms. I hesitated making Abbie's so soon in my learning process. After all, I only just completed a rag quilt (and a very small quilt for Benji and I...you know, to just see if I could actually do a "real" quilt.). I fell in love, however, with the Central Park by Kate Spain fabric and it gave me just the push I needed. The colors fit beautifully with the girl's room and there was a good combination of whimsy and little girl in the prints. I stuck with charm packs to make the process a bit easier this first time around and I am glad I did. The piecing together of the top went quite smoothly.


Picking out the backing didn't go so smoothly, however. I had a terrible time choosing! Finally, Benji voiced his opinion and I just went with the blue dandelion fabric from the Central Park line. It's a nice calm for the bold pieces on the front.


There are a few things I wish I would change, but nothing major. I had originally wanted to do some applique on the bottom and/or back of the quilt, but the desire to have the quilt completed in time for her first night in her big girl bed won that battle. I had fabric ready to use for the applique so I will just save that to make some coordinating pillows for the girl. All the other little things that *bother* me, no one else will probably even notice. And most importantly, I don't think Abbie minds one bit:)




No comments:

Post a Comment